Focuser

I’m looking for a new focuser for my TAL2M. I’ve had this recommended

(The HP125)

http://www.geckooptical.com/anttlers_optics/telescope_acc_focusers.html

Looks a nice bit of kit for the price…

I have emailed Anttlers about shipping to the UK and have received no reply… :afro:

(Am tempted to just pay the 10$ and wait for them to shout :?)

Does anyone know anywhere else where I might get one?

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

Just looking at the website it gives no dimensions for the focuser as to height etc.., If you do any imaging height will be critical as if it is too high you will not be able to achieve focus on your camera.

On the standard TAL unit it is only just possible to achieve focus with a DSLR at prime focus, estimate T-Ring position at between 2-2.25", this unit is 3.5" high but don't know if it is possible to remove the eyepiece holder for Prime Focus photography, if you can't you will limit what you can do with the scope, if you only use it visually there will not be a problem.

I have a TAL2 so will be interested to see how you get on as the standard unit is far from ideal.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Hadn't really thought about prime focus. I just assumed I wouldn't need the M42 adaptor and the T-ring would connect direct...

I moved the primary mirror up the tube and can reach prime focus quite easily now. (at the expense of the 42mm eyepiece :afro: )

Bit more info over here with the thread I recently started (Using my wifes yahoo account)

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TALScopes/

Someone else has since offered me a Tal focuser. This may be a better solution.....

Watch this space :D

Cheers

Jon

Jon, if you don't have enough out travel on the focuser for the 42mm ep, you could get an extension tube. To use any of my ep's properly seated I have to have one in situ.

Thanks for the info

but........

It's the older Tal design where the eyepieces push into the draw tube. And it's slightly bigger that 1.25'' All very strange.

Jon,

Your last comment has made me think that you may be missing a piece off the focuser, does your setup look like the one below for normal observing with the eyepiece ?.

The second picture is what you should see for prime focus photography.

Hadn't really thought about prime focus. I just assumed I wouldn't need the M42 adaptor and the T-ring would connect direct...

I moved the primary mirror up the tube and can reach prime focus quite easily now. (at the expense of the 42mm eyepiece :afro: )

Not sure why you had to move the mirror, it just seems something is amiss.

Brendan

Hello Brendan.

Jons Tal is an older type to yours. The draw tube does not have a pinch screw to hold the eyepieces in place. It has a cut out spring collar that clasps around the eyepieces. The eyepieces themselves are slightly larger than 1.25" and will not fit in a later 1.25" focuser.

There are a lot of Tal1's around with these focusers - I owned one myself :afro:

HTH

Cheers

Matthew(SR)

Jons Tal is an older type to yours. The draw tube does not have a pinch screw to hold the eyepieces in place. It has a cut out spring collar that clasps around the eyepieces. The eyepieces themselves are slightly larger than 1.25" and will not fit in a later 1.25" focuser.

Matthew(SR)

Couldn't of put it better myself :afro:

Archived