Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie advice please

Tinker,

How many people have bought a telescope only for it to end up in the cupboard gathering dust because they have decided that "astronomy isn't for them"? Quite a few I would imagine.

Buying a few books on the subject, attending Star parties or club meetings, I feel, is a good suggestion. It would enable someone to better evaluate their interest in the subject and decide if it was for them, without a lot of expense.

Having seen equipment in use at a Star Party, it might also better guide them to the equipment they want to buy.

As someone new to a hobby, that person might not know or thought of all the options available to them.

I think it is good that alternatives options are offered.

Just my personal opinion, of course, but the text I have written above is the reason I wrote post 24.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should catch this before it runs out of hand..

We have an original poster who has amassed 4 posts on the forum and whilst I'm one to encourage a good debate I think we need to rational about what we base answers and impart any personal wisdoms on..

God knows what this looks like to the op.

A few points here..

With regards to bins... an assumption has been made that the op hasn't already got a pair and stated in passing he'd fancy a telescope, agreed it's great advice if the question was different but it wasn't it was which scope for my husband.. surly we are not here to undermine the original question based on assumptions the op is wrong in what they desire in the first place..

Secondly agreed looking at getting a feel and reading a good book tempers expectations as does astro social events. . Always worth a look in too.. I've been observing for a year only I enjoy looking and relaxing mostly away from drama, hussle and bussle... I've not been to a society and don't feel I've missed out... personally that's my choice, one that may change one that may not.. i enjoy it none the less..

Thirdly it might not be for the op.. and the scope might end up being sold or collecting dust in a corner... It happens, that's life but if there's interest we should stoke and encourage it

let's put the comments in context good, bad and ugly...

It's all good advice but we should answer the question asked not be dismissal and push an alternative unless it's asked for..

Personally bins wouldn't work for me and my partner some times its difficult finding objects at the best of times let alone handing someone elsr some bins and trying to point in to a spot for other person to try and find it... at least with a mounted scope you can enjoy together knowing your looking at the same thing!

Now what was the original question?

Archived