Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

replacement red dot finder options

This isn't a question about better finders such as a telrad or rigel. The problem I have is my red dot finder for my heritage 130p is no longer working, or rather working very intermittently. I have tried a replacement battery and that has no effect.

I am therefore wondering what options I have to replace it? The standard red dot finder works fine for me and although a telrad would be nice I doubt it would fit on my scope. Are there any suitable replacements that would fit as I can't seem to find standard replacements?

Thanks in advance.

I've checked the alignment but thanks anyway, as you say it sometimes you don't see it when it is on initially. You are definitely right about the rotary control, occasionaly after several turns back and forth it might come on. My last observing session it failed to work but since the moon was not out I was happy just scanning with my low mag eyepieces.

Typically after tweaking it for a bit is seems to be working a little better and if it stays the same I can probably put up with it for a while so a replacement might not be urgent. When it does work though I actually rather like it so if I can anything that fits and does a similar job I will be happy.

A rigel would fit but if you don't want one try astroboot http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot

That I didn't know, thank you! I did notice a Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight at FLO, if that fits then it would be perfect. I'll also check astroboot thank you, although as indicated just above it may not be quite so urgent. Maybe something I could ask for a Christmas present :)

I saw that at FLO but out of stock, I do like the look of that actually thank you.

These forums are amazing by the way :) Thanks everyone!

• 3 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I finally fixed the problem and thought it might be of interest in case anyone else experiences similar problems.

After playing around with it for a while I noticed that as the red dot finder inclinded further from the horizontal it would suddenly switch itself off. Turned out the metal strip that holds the battery in place was a little loose causing it to be disconnected as it started to point upwards. A quick tweak and it is working fine :smiley:

Archived