NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

5" Reflector, what to realistically expect?

That would be a perfect solution, I looked around 2 stores and couldn't find anything that would fit the thread, having a difficult time finding the right bolts. I'm sure I will figure something out, a small homemade Dob mount would be cool if the EQ mount doesn't work out for whatever reason. 

Thanks for the input, if anyone has any more info on an easy to make dob/alt az mount that would be cool. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the best you can to measure the size of the hole where each of the missing bolts are that would indicate the thread size. M12 is a 12mm hole.

I guess it might be safe to assume they are metric.

Did you look at the links I gave I thought one talked about replacing the bolts.

Do the best you can to measure the size of the hole where each of the missing bolts are that would indicate the thread size. M12 is a 12mm hole.

I guess it might be safe to assume they are metric.

Did you look at the links I gave I thought one talked about replacing the bolts.

Err not quite. The hole will be measured smaller than 12mm due to the screw thread. 12mm would be for a smooth bore and smooth dowel.

As it happens, I have an EQ1 on the desk..

Measured with vernier calipers.

Mount hole (threaded) =10mm

Counter weight bar (threaded) = 12mm

Counter weight bar (unthreaded) =12mm.

In the USA you might have a problem finding an M12 bolt, but looking at the original bar, the pitch seems fairly coarse, a visit with the mount to any hardware store should help (I'm not 100% sure on the pitch).

So maybe a 1/2"-13 UNC would be the size to look at, 1/2"-20 UNF I think would be too fine.

Which other bolts are you missing, I'll measure what I have on this mount.

Archived