Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moonlite CR2 focuser as a replacement

I'm all set to get one of these lovely looking pieces of engineering art from FLO to replace the standard Crayford focuser on my 12" Skywatcher dob but I'm a bit confused with the many options on draw tube length and travel. It'll be for purely visual use so should I go for the standard 2" travel 3.3" length drawtube or one of the other options? I've measured the Skywatcher focuser - the base height is approx 60mm (from 'scope tube to the top where the draw tube emerges) and the draw tube rack-in/rack-out travel is approx 38mm.

Couple of other questions: Is the drawtube threaded for 2" filters? I don't expect it is but there's nothing lost in asking.

Is it worth getting the optional compression ring? I appreciate this is to prevent marking eyepiece barrels but do they grip heavy eyepieces like the Pentax 30 XW OK? I'd die of shock if that dropped out :wink:

Also, is a 2"/1.25" eyepiece adaptor supplied as with the standard Skywatcher focuser and if so, does this also have a compression ring option?

One more thing: Will the base bolt into the tube holes drilled for the Skywatcher focuser or will I have to power up my black & decker and drill new holes? I know the Antares dual-speed focuser needs new holes (and leaves a gap around the main focuser hole that needs filling) so I'm hoping the Moonlite will bolt straight in with no gaps.

Maybe I should ring Steve but I'd probably forget at least one of these questions :insects1: :)

It'll be for purely visual use so should I go for the standard 2" travel 3.3" length drawtube ....

Yes

Is the drawtube threaded for 2" filters? I don't expect it is but there's nothing lost in asking.

No

Is it worth getting the optional compression ring? I appreciate this is to prevent marking eyepiece barrels but do they grip heavy eyepieces like the Pentax 30 XW OK? I'd die of shock if that dropped out :wink:

It is a luxury rather than a necessity - both systems will securely grip your Pentax eyepiece.

Also, is a 2"/1.25" eyepiece adaptor supplied as with the standard Skywatcher focuser and if so, does this also have a compression ring option?

Yes.

Yes, if you select the compression-ring option then both 1.25" and 2" fittings will have compression-rings.

One more thing: Will the base bolt into the tube holes drilled for the Skywatcher focuser or will I have to power up my black & decker and drill new holes?

The installation kit will match the existing holes and the tube diameter perfectly.

Hope that helps :)

Archived