NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GCSE astronomy

jambouk

it would be nice to have a bit of a structured understanding, without too much maths

there was a bit of maths in the GCSE course when I did it, some people couldn't cope with the maths part but they still passed the exam, so it's not the B all and end all if you don't like the maths, just enjoy the rest of it.

Carole 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an ageing O-level, A-level guy I found contradictions in the paper. Q2, b +c did not equate with Q8 b fig3 and some of the questions could have been accurately answered by some smarty pants saying "use Stellarium, CdC or even better ask on SGL".

The marking scheme does often incluide a comment along the lines of "Any two of the following examples (or other sensible piece of information)" so "Use stellarium" would be a valid answer.

Does anyone know what the grade boundaries would be for that paper?

Here is the examiners report for that paper which is an interesting read:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20Current%20GCSE/June%202011%20-%20ER/5AS01_01_pef_20110824.pdf

They are strict, commenting that the Moon needed a capital "M"!

And here on page 5 is the grade boundaries for this paper; it looks to me as though 60% on the written paper would get a grade A:

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/documents/1106%20gcse%20units%20grade%20boundaries.pdf

James

P.s i've just read through the first 6 page chapter in the book above, and it is fascinating stuff. It's quite a short book so once i've read through it i'll make the call about whether or not to sign up. So far it looks interesting and looks like the stuff i'd like to have a better understanding of.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished the book by Nigel Marshall and started Patrick Moore and Chris Lintott's Astronomy for GCSE (2000).

Fascinating general reading, but I don't think I'll be applying to sit the GCSE any time soon, as I do worry feeling compelled to do things may take some pleasure out of it for me, plus I am lazy.

I'll just keep reading for now.

James

Hi I passed it in 1970 as an O level along with  Aeronautics , they were both project and exam based back then ,although I was never much good at maths or physics just shows if you are actually interested in something it makes all the difference

Archived