NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12" DOB.....Really pleased.......???

Picked up my DOB last week.... upon inspection.... it was out of collimation... among other issues.... I took and promptly ironed out all of the issues.... my, there where a few........ and when I looked into the 20mm Nagler at the Cygnus region.... I could not believe how many STARS showed colors... I have had 12" Dobs before and I don't recall seeing the Stars like this.... I cleaned the mirror because It was a new scope to me and I noticed.... to my surprise that it is a FULL THICKNESS MIRROR...so I am thinking that someone may have replaced the stock mirror... the only full thickness mirror that I have ever seen before was on my 10" Parks Reflector....   well all I know is this Scope gives Great views....  does anyone know if the stock mirrors are full thickness on the Starhopper 12" ?   

Mark

post-15801-0-44990400-1415712865.jpg

Hi Mark.   The bottom line is that the scope gives great views, so I wouldn't worry too much if it has a full thickness mirror or not, although cooldown may be a bit longer for a thicker mirror.

You could always add a cooling fan if that's an issue for you.

How thick is the mirror ?   Maybe someone will know the spec of the original, although that can change if the production run is long.

Enjoy the views, Ed.

Hi Mark. I noticed the straps on your scope. Are they for carrying it about? I currently have an 8 inch Dob and am considering upgrading to 12 inch but I'm concerned about ease of transportation.

Thanks. Tony

Archived