Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using Filters & Filter Wheel

zakkhogan

Hi all 

Just trying to get my head round using filters. I currently have a LRGB Baader filter set which i use with my asi120mm. 

The way i understand it is the RGB filters go inside the wheel and the L (UV \ IR CUT) goes on the nose piece. 

So where does a IR Pass filter come into it?

Its worth noting that i only use this set up for imaging the planets and i use no filters for imaging the moon

Thanks

craig

If its the same as my Baader RGB set they have built-in IR cut, so you dont need the IR cut at all. Though there might be a different range that need it, you'd better check.

If you dont have the IR cut on the nosepiece, you can put an IR pass filter in the filter wheel. This is what I do. 'Naked' ASI120MM (no IR cut) with RGB, IR pass, UV, etc etc in the filter wheel.

Hi all 

Just trying to get my head round using filters. I currently have a LRGB Baader filter set which i use with my asi120mm. 

The way i understand it is the RGB filters go inside the wheel and the L (UV \ IR CUT) goes on the nose piece. 

So where does a IR Pass filter come into it?

Its worth noting that i only use this set up for imaging the planets and i use no filters for imaging the moon

Thanks

craig

You only use the IR pass if you want to do full spectrum imaging or image in infra red, I don't think that it has any other use unless you want your stars to have a magenta halo.

A.G

Hi,

I agree with lensman57, there is no need at all for the IR pass filter, when LRGB imaging, your filters sound like they have IR cut built in, so just put the three colour filters into the wheel, and an L filter. The L filter can be a clear glass filter, or just an IR filter, or as I do use a Light pollution filter which has inbuilt IR cut, the whole idea is to take AVI through all three colour channels and then one through an IR filter, this is what I would do.

Hope that helps

But there will be more experienced people that me along soon to give advice I am sure

SS

Archived