Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen Super Polaris 100L

Thanks Dave,

I'm still waiting for a decent night to spend some time learning how to use it properly, and it doesn't look like that will be the case here forna few nights yet. Typical Scottish weather, :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Dave,

I'm still waiting for a decent night to spend some time learning how to use it properly, and it doesn't look like that will be the case here forna few nights yet. Typical Scottish weather, :)

Oh no - it's not that the weather is Scotland-Weather. It's that you bought a new (to you) telescope. It's an established rule. I'll explain:

Anytime an amateur-astronomer thinks about getting a new scope - the clouds will start making their way towards the astronomer.

Anytime the astronomer places the order and pays for it - the clouds go and hide so there are beautiful sunny days and crystal-clear nights.

Anytime the astronomer sees the van pulling up in front of the house and the box the scope is in being carried to the door - the clouds come whizzing in at 1,000 kph and immediately begin pouring rain, hail, ice-crystals, and snow for 40 days and 41 nights.

And that is the rule that has been in place since Galileo.

Clear Skies,

Dave :grin::evil:

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, A wee update regarding my scope.  

Last night was the first real chance, given the recent weather, overcast skies here and work commitments, I had to try to observe Jupiter. I was a bit worried that with the 100mm aperture of the Vixen that I might struggle to see much, especially from my back garden given the LP, however I was absolutely delighted with what I saw.  Using new 20mm and 10mm plossls that I recently bought I could see the bands, mainly the larger clearer centre ones and four moons really well, much more than I expected from the scope. Given the brightness of Jupiter in the sky I tried the supplied 5mm, 24.7mm Vixen eyepiece in and was rewarded with a very acceptable image. I'm really looking forward to getting away to a better location LP wise. Overall I am delighted with my new found hobby, and my "new" telescope, although as usual the weather hinders me from getting out as often as I would like.

Thanks again for your previous help and advice. I think my bank manager, as stated previously, might very soon get upset with me, :evil:

Clear skies,

Keith :grin:

Hi Jules.

I don't have tracking on this mount, but have had a look to see what's available and they all seem quite expensive. The thought being I may buy a bigger scope with tracking included as I would really like to get into imaging at some point in the not too distant future. Xmas brought me a new dslr so will have to research this much more

Keith.

Archived