Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kicking the proverbial cat...

Dave_D

So with the lousy weather and finally getting all my stuff into the flat, i thought it high time i got my finger out and switched all my control software over to linux. used a second 2.5inch hd and installed linux mint 17 then spent a good deal of time hair pulling and leaping about setting up the computer as a wireless access point (at 300mb. far faster than my xp setup can manage) and getting rdp working. ended up with a wonderfully stable system, the xp WAP install has an annoying habit of disconnecting half a dozen times in rapid succession just after bootup.

Great i thought, finally about to have the beautiful operating system in charge.

installed INDI without any issues and then kstars.

fired up my nexus 7 which i use to rdp into the computer, having the computer as a wireless access point means i can connect to to it from wherever i take the scope, no need for t'internet or lans or any other nonesense.

aaaaaaanyway, fired up kstars and proceeded to curse like a drunken sailor on shore leave after being at sea for 5 years. selecting any menu option in kstars causes it to crash 90% of the time...

not sure if it's down to the android rdp client yet.

some days i really hate computers. 

I give Linux (mostly Mint) a chance every six months and always back out due to stability or missed functionality reasons. One could argue that a community-driven development should yield a good test base, but it appears that ral commercial regression-testing is a more viable path.

I never got to the point of trying astro stuff, though. How is that kstars stuff? Specs look so-so...

/per

I give Linux (mostly Mint) a chance every six months and always back out due to stability or missed functionality reasons. One could argue that a community-driven development should yield a good test base, but it appears that ral commercial regression-testing is a more viable path.

I never got to the point of trying astro stuff, though. How is that kstars stuff? Specs look so-so...

/per

kstars is quite good in my opinion... all i want it to do is let me slew to stuff.

seems like the problem with kstars crashing is down to the android rdp client as it doesn't crash using rdp from windows or my main linux box. unfortunately, that completely defeats the purpose of using my nexus. might try tightvnc or splashtop on android and see if that runs ok.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems what you're looking for is an Andriod INDI Client that would just do that without needing to touch RDP. If you're running KStars, take take note of the IP of the machine and the port the INDI server is running on. Alternatively, you don't even need to run KStars, you can simply run INDI server manually.

indiserver -v indi_eqmod_telescope

Then in IPARCOS (the Android INDI Client), just set the IP address of your machine and port 7624 and that should work! Good luck!

It seems what you're looking for is an Andriod INDI Client that would just do that without needing to touch RDP. If you're running KStars, take take note of the IP of the machine and the port the INDI server is running on. Alternatively, you don't even need to run KStars, you can simply run INDI server manually.

indiserver -v indi_eqmod_telescope

Then in IPARCOS (the Android INDI Client), just set the IP address of your machine and port 7624 and that should work! Good luck!

PERFECT! Looks like that's exactly what i need :D

Archived