Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount for 8 in ch Newtonian.

I have an Orion Optics UK 8 inch f6 Newtonian.It is 1/10  wave finish.

It does not work well on my CG5-GT mount due to the tripod legs.I am lokking for advice on which would be the best way to mount the tube for not an arm and a leg.I know that Orion Optics UK do sell a Dobsonian mount for this tube.There is also the option of a pedestal combined with a Skytee mount.Any ideas would be welcome.

Well, it's a good instrument, and the mount has to be good to compliment it.

I assume the CG-5 GT tripod legs are being contacted by the scope at certain attitudes.

How about a small diameter, but sturdy pier to attach the CG5 to.

Even a piece of thick walled Gas pipe, inserted into a concrete bed, and when set, fill with more crete.

Plated on the top to facilitate attachment of the scope is not a difficult operation.

My own Obs. mounted EQ6 Is on such a construction, and has the freedom to move around the pier at all attitudes.

My pier diameter is 10 inches, but 5" or 6" would suffice.  Mine was built to carry the Skywatcher MN190 Astrograph, which will considerably heavier than

your 8" I would suggest.

Best in an Obs of course, but the pier could be permanent in a garden, the mount can be removed after an observing session.

If you are an imager, that would be a headache, polar alignment being rather crucial in that case.

Ron.

post-567-0-66440400-1414955946_thumb.jpg

The Orion Optics dob mounts are good but the do cost a lot when bought new. One for a 10" scope was for sale recently on e.bay for £299 so not that inexepensive used either.

I'd probably go for a Skytee II or Giro-type mount on a pedestal mount or a CG5 tripod / Pillar extension arrangement.

Making a dob mount is not that difficult and would be a lot less expensive.

Both ideas are sounnd and appealing.The Orion Dob mounts are expensive. But I do like the idea of the Skytee on a pedestal as you could also mount other telescopes.Budget wise I am going to have to fork out and I know the pedestal and Skytee are expensive to.I will before hand measure the distance between the tripod legs and the tube assembly.Perhaps a shorter pillar extension might work.

Thanks.

Archived