NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help With Celestron AVX

Hello every one, please forgive my ignorance but i am learning.

I have searched for this info but apologies if i am repeating question previously asked. 

I Have just purchased a Celestron advanced VX mount from FLO in the uk. 

I eagerly un boxed it, there are no instructions? i have looked and it appears that this is normal. 

I downloaded the manual and set it up all working OK. 

I then tried to connect it to my laptop. i downloaded the Nexremote and installed it. it asked me to set it up. i looked on line and found it should be set up as a CG5,!!!! but there is no CG5 option in the software i downloaded from Celestron.

it askes for the software version the handset says GEM 5.22.3141 again there is no option for this??? have i downloaded the wrong software and drivers?

when i try any combination, the software say unable to comunicate with telescope.

I am using a PL-2303 HXD usb to serial adapter. as far as i can tell this is working i can get the chip type when i request it,

the laptop is Windows 7 64 bit. 

if i associate the serial port with nexGPS the Nexremote reports i cant open the port so this also supports the port working (i think).

Everything works with my Meade ETX (but that has a proper USB connection).

Martin

Might be worth getting in touch with Team celestron support. I recently had to reflash my handset, so don't use the nexremote option. still had to use the correct usb to serial cable though...there is a list of supported cables listed in the other thread. though both myself and the OP of that one use Mac's.

did a search and came up with some links to another forum. people there noted it was possible to connects, but you loose some of the functionality (PEC etc) as the CG5 did not have those. 

Hi Martin

You should have received an Instruction Manual with the mount. I'd complain to FLO! Though, yeah, you can download one. The best way I found re connecting to a PC is with the serial cable http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/serial-cable-for-skywatcher-and-celestron-mounts.html plus a usb-serial converter (if you don't have an actual serial port) http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/converters.htm#serusb (Your usb-serial cable may work fine). The RJ end of the Celestron cable goes in the base of the hand controller.

You can ignore Nexremote... You need the Ascom platform 6.1 installed on your PC. Then the Celestron Unified driver http://www.ascom-standards.org/Downloads/ScopeDrivers.htm The Ascom driver provides a simple manual slew button set.

I run my AVX with StellariumScope + Stellarium though I think it works ok with CdC, with a plugin?

Additionally I have PHD2, APT and Astrotortilla :)

Oh, you obviously have to setup the hand controller as per the manual. Once setup, I don't really use it other than to confirm date/time and selecting 'Quick Align' but you may want to use it differently.

Hope that helps.

Louise

I run/ran my avx with stellarium without installing ascom or any drivers it seemed to work ok out the box. 

I have since installed  ascom and drivers to run AlignMaster - which also seemed to work with no issues. I haven't  bothered with nexremote either.

I now suspect it may be the USB to serial port, last time I used it was about 2 years ago with a robot and I cant remember why i put it away perhaps it didn’t work then, but I think it was to do with drivers as i was using windows 8 at the time?

I have just ordered a replacement. i have ordered the one from FLO as this must be compatible.

So now I am waiting for the post lady again, she must love carrying all the rubbish I buy to the house.

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived