Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Startravel 102 SynScan AZ GOTO 102mm Refractor

Hi everyone, i'm new to all this but trying to get started, anyway i have a 'Startravel 102 SynScan AZ GOTO 102mm Refractor' i have only tried it once as it was a present and i haven't had much time but i am looking to improve it as much as possible and i was hoping that some of you would be able to recommend some targets to try that i could get a decent view of. I also have it hooked up to stellarium and it seems to work well on there but because i don't really know what i would be able to see best i'm not sure what to pinpoint?

Thanks, hoping for a clear night tonight so that i can give it another try!

Hey there friend, welcome to SGL.

A good place to start out would be to look at some bright easy big targets like M31, M42 and M45. Also the Double Cluster in Perseus would be a nice start.

A good book on easy targets for starting out is "Turn Left At Orion", check it out if you want a good book on the subject. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972

Hi There,

The 102 is a great scope to start with plenty of apperture!  A couple of good links for you below so that you can understand what the limits of your scope are and what you can potentially see. On the field of view calculator remember to 'switch to visual' on. these do all the calculations for you kjust enter your scope and eyepiece data.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm

And a link in SGL for what you might be able to see  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

Also you need to know that your scope will generate a ertain amount of CA (chromatic aberration) this will put a purple / blue halo around bright objects such as the moon. So if you see this it is normal!!.

Hwyl!

I have an ST102 & it is a great little scope.

At home I have some light pollution but I can see M31 & M32, M13, M92, M56, M2, M27, M57, M81 & M82 (just), M42, M11, M5, M35, M36, M37, M38 & plenty more with practice.

Should keep you busy. Also hundreds of double stars.

When observing the Moon & planets I take of the little cap on the front of the main cap to reduce the CA, works well.

Thanks for all the links and advice, been having a look through them and starting to understand everything a bit better now  (i like the welsh touch damnut) haha. Also i have just connected my telescope up to stellarium and have noticed that the telescope is actually moving diagonally on screen rather than up and down, does this mean it needs calibration and if so how would i do that? or am i being stupid and missing something (ii have noticed that my telescope is showing as pointing west on screen but it is actually pointing north?). Another thing i am curious to know for when i do start using it is how would i go about taking pictures with this eg. do i need a certain camera or mount?

Thanks again for all the help! 

Hi There,

Take one step at a time. Not really the kit for astro imaging, which is all about the mount , then the scope to put on it!!. You could however put a 't-ring'  on (may already have one on it) which will enable you to attach a camera to it  and experiment. However astro imaging properly done to the standard seen on SGL = deep pockets.

So long as stellarium is pointing your scope at the right object I would not worry about it's tracking diagonally on screen.

Some good advice above about  better quality eyepieces, if you can upgrade it is worth doing so. Ex pat nwales, my avatar is me single handed 40 years ago (14 then) coming back from Ireland..

Archived