Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 40

DeepSkyBagger

This is a response to Cotterless45 - 'Heavy Dew Tour'.

I observed NGC 40 on 26th August this year.  Because of where I usually place my telescope, I can't often see more northerly objects such as this. I observe usually from the patio, which means the house blocks out half the sky. This evening, though, I moved the scope half way down the garden, affording me better views to the north. I'll have to do this more often, there's much more sky visible from there, but it's wet and usually muddy, and the patio is dry (and level).

NGC 40 is very, very bright. Very large and immediately obvious even at x83. Pretty circular, but not evenly bright. Brighter arcs were seen on the southeast and northwest edges. Some darker patches were also noted. A small extension away from the disc was noted to the northeast, associated with a small star. The OIII filter adds nothing, merely removing the brilliant central star from view. A lovely object giving a different view with every power.

post-39585-0-96698000-1414412569_thumb.j

Archived