Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Antares Movie Eyepiece

AstroTiger

Ok ppl

If the sky remains clear tonight, i am going to try something new myself.

What i have is an antares movie eyepiece. I also have a media streamer like that used to get movie materal from a video camera directly to computer.

I also have my laptop now.

So tonight i am gong to try to image a few thing to see how it goes.

The problem is the movie eyepiece is high field of view.

I am after a toucam web camera, but this wll do for now.

I will take piccies of this curious setup so u will see what i am about. It will be interesting, and its gonna be entertaining!

Will keep u informed as to how i do

Al

Well i have used the Antares eyepiece before for doing some work.

It obv only does B/W, which is not a bad thing.

I streamed it through a TV/combi Video set. However the video was unable to record. Images of saturn were seen though.

I had lost the movie streamer until today, now found,if the weather maintains the relatively clear sky i shall igve it a go.

If it works out ok, i should have a fair bit to report.

No drive for telescope though this is the only snag, but one has to start from somewhere :-)

For me its been a Rubbish year so far for astronomy :-(

The only isse is the movie eyepiece is high power. All these barlow lenses used to increase power, shame we cannot also stop it down :-(

Al

inital tests are not going well.

Th software the streamer came with seems to crash on my PC, i am wondering if i have the latest.

So as well as trying to see if the eyepiece works am also trying various bits of image capturing software. My fault i should have done this while i had some day light :-)

Not given up yet, am trying nero vision express to seeif i can get anything with that.

At least the clouds apprear to be staying off :-)

Al

houston we have a problem

Ok it seems as though the streaming gadget does not like the eyepiece. It will not stream any video from it throught to the cmputer.

Now i have used it before via the cam corder with no issues.

I have also plugged the eyepiece in via phono cable directly into the TV, this works a dream.

you might say, well use that, but the misses will be none to happy, and i have no direct way to record from telescope to TV, it has to involve my laptop.

Any ideas on the best software to perhaps use?

Nero VE, not much good, ULEAD, keeps crashing.

Trying to even see if it will be seen via msn, no luck

HELP!

Al

ok i susses the problem.

It was actually the cable that needed replacing.

To be honest you do not get very hight quality images out of the eyepiece. I guess this is relected in the price.

I have seen saturn in it before, which was not too bad.

So some reason though we are just not playing ball. I did briefly catch mars, but by the time i could get round to focussing it had gone. And silly me changed the brightness settings. So now i need to i tink target a bright object, Betelgeuse perhaps and try focusing on that.

The main issues i not are limitations with my mount now. The lock off nuts clash with the worm gears, how silly is this.

Plus the brightness of the laptop messings with any dark adaption.

Oh and lastly that blumming finder has got to go.

Turning out more like an observers diary this isn't it lol

Ok guys, i presume you are out with the stars, so clear skies

Al

Archived