Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

for planets

i was told that for planets and lunar viewing the best thing to do was to get a refractor, however i bought a reflectror with the lure of the messier catalogue.

this also gives pretty good planet views, my reflector is 130mm what size of refractor would be needed to make an improvement onthe planetary/lunar front?

i was told that for planets and lunar viewing the best thing to do was to get a refractor, however i bought a reflectror with the lure of the messier catalogue.

this also gives pretty good planet views, my reflector is 130mm what size of refractor would be needed to make an improvement onthe planetary/lunar front?

A 120mm refractor would givelunar and planetary views possibly a little better than your 130mm reflector but the difference would not be that noticable, assuming that your reflector is reasonably well collimated. A 6 inch refractor would be a more significant step up but for the same price you could have an 8 inch reflector which would be even better :wink:

A 6 inch refractor is a real beast to handle as well.

So my advice would be to go for a bigger reflector and then you get better DSO performance as well.

John

A lot of people say you should double the size of your scope when you move up. I say that you should go up at least 50% in diameter. This is a full magnitude in light grasp, and a 50% improvement in that other thing, you know, how well you can define small objects and separation of doubles.

So, I would not suggest a reflector of less than 8" for you.

Double the aperture of your scope so if i was to buy a new scope i would be looking for a 16" reflector LOL :hello1:

Is this a rule of thumb as i only have one thumb.

I love the moon and i do not have frequent clear skies so a 8" reflector will do me fine at the moment.

Would love an observatory. :wave:

Or of course, since they are semi-officially termed a "planetary scope" by many (albeit not without some reason) a larger MAKsutov or Maksutov-Newtonian. Some of these latter seem more within (the financial) range of the Joe Average, are compact, and claimed capable of almost (just below, aperture-wise) APO refractor performance... :wink:

Archived