Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope Opinion

I'm still searching, and what I'm interested in is viewing to start, with astrophotography to follow when I learn more. Which in your opinion is the better scope for my purposes....the Celestron GCEM-800 Computerized Telescope, or the Celestron Advanced VX 8

Thanks,

Rich

Not just the scope, look at the mount.

The AVX is a solid mount and suited to AP as well as visual, the CGEM  is a much large heavier and more expensive mount designed for AP. Will you be moving it around at all?

I have the AVX and it is easy to break down to tripod, eights and move it.

Ok, thankyou for your opinion and experience. I'm basically looking at the two Celestron scopes mentioned above, and since the mounts come with them, I didn't mention them. The other choice is the Meade LX90 8 inch, but it doesn't come with an equatorial mount, though one can be installed. The Meade LS 8 inch sounds nice but I don't even think an equatorial wedge can ever be used with it, so it wouldn't work for serious photography.

So the search continues....

You may want to consider that to get the best out of visual and imaging you really do need different kit - The two disciplines are not quite compatible. I don't do visual, but I've learnt from here that a dob really is the best bang for buck you can get for visual. Then for imaging you have a different set of requirements. 

You say above about 'serious photography' - Have a look in the imaging section, be realistic about what you'd like to achieve in the long term and look at the sorts of kit people are using to get there. Will give you a good idea of what works well.

Gday in the last 2weeks I have received my cgem 925 edge hd ,the mount is abit weighty but it performs great easy alignment within half hour was tracking mars keep in mind never used eq mount before ,I think for extra weight is worth it for photography

Archived