Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Mars and Andromeda Kind of Night

Ccolvin968

So I just thought I'd share my observing session from last night.

I started it off with a much needed collimation.

Then it led to a bunch of star hopping around. Not looking for anything specific.

I ended up viewing Mars right around 7:45.

Even though it was fairly close to the horizon the red popped really well last night. It was around 40 degrees F so not bad viewing at all.

I recently moved to the northern portion of the U.S. where the skies are much much darker than on the east cast.

After I spent some time with Mars, I decided to shoot for the Andromeda Galaxy.
I was looking for the last star in the constellation almost pointing to M31, when i realised it was actually the galaxy I was seeing.

It was amazing to me that I could see it with my naked eye now.

Even after getting it in my scope, I could actually make out the fact that it was a galaxy.

I couldn't make out the arms or dust lanes. Just what looked like a orangy yellow smudge around it. (Still amazing)

Where I lived on the east coast of the U.S. I couldn't see it with my naked eye, and it only looked like a star in the scope.

I just thought I'd share this with you. Nothing spectacular, but it was a gread night out! :)

There's always tons to look at. Even in the light polluted area I was in before.

Now that it's dark skies all around (except to the south where the glow of a major city pokes its ugly head up) there's even more to look at!

I'm saving up for a new scope right now. A 10" Dobsonian as my second scope after two years into having a telescope.

I've been reading star charts and stuff on our universe longer than I can remember.

Archived