Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SLR - adding a webcam through the back?

Kaptain Klevtsov

Had an idea after spotting a webcam on the floor of our office. After adjusting it I revealed the CCD bit and played wit a lens to get focus. 50mm SLR lens got a BIG close up of the doorway (room lights off) as the chip is about 4mm square. Then I had the idea of getting out the old Zenit EM SLR which I have had for yonks, even before the Pentax, drilling the back and fitting the webcam through the back where the film would live.

The plan is that I can use something like a 100mm lens (small f numbers are still cheap) to visually align the thing, press the shutter set on bulb and big violin ! (oops - should have been Viola!)

Antybody done anything as daft?

captain Chaos

I did see a website somewhere on my travels that some had done something like you're suggesting, I think it was in the ATM ring. If I can track it down will get back to you

Nabban

looks like I'll have to have a go then.

Bother, its not even cloudy now - oh yeah! I can go look at stuff now.

MUST buy a telescope.

Plan A

Let wifey watch as much dross as she wants (she does anyway) and pretend that I don't mind. When she's cheered up she might drop a grand on a scope for me. What do you think? Might work?

Plan B

Just buy one and lie about the cost.

Cap'n devious

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Pointed it at the moon yesterday evening before the cloud and rain came back in style. It focusses on the moon but the image is poor. Probably because of the rain on the front element, possibly because there was still some high cloud and the usual user error.

Nice to be able to use the Contraption with position feedback on screen so that I could tune the speed to keep the moon on the chip, though polar alignment in daylight was never going to happen. I don't suppose it matters with the moon so much.

I tried Registax to coax a useable image from it but I still have the L plates on. Tried to go too fast - skid, crunch - image not even recognisable.

From research I did very quickly, it seems that I've got too much rubbish in the AVIs which degrades the signal to noise too much. I think Registax tried to extract a good image of a grey cat in a grey room and ditched all the linear type features.

The clouds have all gone this AM so maybe tonight me and the boy will get a useable snap.

Captain Chaos

I don't think that there will be any worth posting, except the pylon. The webcam chip is tilted WRT the focal plane so that only part of the moon for example is in focus. Plus the resolution of the webcam is 320 x 240 or somesuch, I don't hold out much hope. I'll give it a go but so far I have learnt that the chip has to be level +/- a hair's breadth for it to work plus you need a good webcam to start with or your'e stuffed.

Watch this space anyway.

I very much echo your sentiment of it works and that is what matters, cheered me up to get rid of some junk and get another "invention". Both myself and Eddie the boy have had fun playing with this, that's what matters to us. If it goes on the bin, it cost nothing as the bits were lying around anyway.

I think it was Edison who said "to invent something you need an idea and a big pile of junk". We have plenty junk, just short of an idea or two. :lol:

Captain Chaos

(Off to feed his face and then go outside, "I may be some time")

Hi CC

I believe you should be less than 50 microns over 1/2" ccd surface to stop focus issues across the image. That's 0.05mm, 0.00197". Not easy and the reason why most webcams have a screw-in lens on a shroud located on the board. Keep trying - the ease of mounting a camera lens on it's own makes it a worthwhile project!

Arthur

Archived