I cannot quite tame the halos round the stars help would be appreciated

e8cb3cdac46cb62420684c3f1268098e.16536x1

last years

49950213581e60481d915717babdbc86.16536x1

Thaarrr ya go :D

post-5513-0-71727400-1413012522_thumb.jp

How to:

1) Open in Ps

2) Open saturation window, select magenta from dropdown.

3) Now, see the left & right markers at the bottom of the saturation window? Move those closer together (it restricts the colour selection so youre not knocking out the wrong bits).

4) Using the saturation dropper icon, click on the magenta halo on one of the large stars - you will notice the colour selection slider in the saturation box move about when you do that.

5) Now you have your range of magenta selected, knock the saturation down to -65. You could go to -100% but it gets a bit noticeable.

Happy processing!

PS: If more time is spent, you could do a variation of the above on a pre-selected area (ie: just on the stars, and not applied to the whole image like I just did)

Thaarrr ya go :D

e8cb3cdac46cb62420684c3f1268098e_16536x16536_q100_watermark.jpg

How to:

1) Open in Ps

2) Open saturation window, select magenta from dropdown.

3) Now, see the left & right markers at the bottom of the saturation window? Move those closer together (it restricts the colour selection so your not knocking out the wrong bits).

4) Using the saturation dropper icon, click on the magenta halo on one of the large stars - you will notice the colour selection slider in the saturation box move about when you do that.

5) Now you have your range of magenta selected, knock the saturation down to -65. You could go to -100% but it gets a bit noticeable.

Happy processing!

PS: If more time is spent, you could do a variation of the above on a pre-selected area (ie: just on the stars, and not applied to the whole image like I just did)

Thanks for this I need to add to my workflow.

Take it you mean a star mask to restrict without affecting other parts.

Christopher Davenport, on 11 Oct 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

Thanks for this I need to add to my workflow.

Take it you mean a star mask to restrict without affecting other parts.

Yep, its kinda like a star mask but not so tight, as some of the halos are quite large. Noels "select brighter stars" plus a bit of expanding will pick up most of them - but there would have to be some fiddling about with the selection - or do it in two parts, small stars first - then manually select the larger ones.

I wouldnt normally do it to the finished work either, its usually applied to the RGB layer before merging it with the Lum master.

Archived