Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Powering a Sirius EG-G mount

Vox45

Hi all,

So I just got my Sirius EQ-G mount and it comes with a cigar-lighter plug. I hesitate on buying a 220v-12v adapter or buy the 'real' thing ie: a 12v power supply like this one:

(Click the UK flag on top of the page to see in English)

http://www.pierro-astro.com/materiel-astronomique/alimentations-piles/alimentation-3000ma-pour-montures-et-telescopes_detail

The power supply is 2x the price and the adapter can be reused in different situation, so more flexible I guess .. What are you guys (and gals) using ? Is it safer to get a power supply ?

Cheers

I used an adapter like that one one you linked to there, but I replaced it with a leisure battery. Why? Well, occasionally I ran into ground loop problems and one easy way to fix it is to use a battery instead. Using switched power supplies outdoors, unearthed and in high humidity can be, 'interesting'. Tingling mounts anyone? 

The idea was also to use a battery for outside but as I will also observe from my balcony, then I would use the wall outlet when inside.

The thing is that I fear that the combo [ mount <> cigar plug 12v cord <> 220v to 12v adapter <> wall outlet ] is safe enough for my mount.

I do not want to smell something burning the 1st night of viewing ;)

Archived