I can see M101 clearly now the snow has gone...

SteveL

Got caught in a mini-blizzard while driving home last night, but the satellite images showed it was due to clear up afterwards... and it did! Not a great night, a bit milky up there, but no moon and no storm force wind blowing everything around the garden.

M101 and M51 have both started to clear the house at a decent time of the evening (well, actually thats a lie, this was started at 1am after 4 hours of IC405/IC410 which I cant seem to do anything with because my flats are messed up)

OTA: NS8GPS @ f/7-ish

Guiding: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + DSI-C + PHD

RGB Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 20 x 900s, IDAS Filter

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: ImagesPlus + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

(Click on image for larger version)

m101_20080304_600.jpg

I`d forgotten quite how slow f/7+ was to image with... think I`ll stick to the Hyperstar for the moment, although I do hear M51 calling my name as a "this years version versus last years".

Issues were:

- I need to guide with the barlow in the W066, its just not long enough to spot the smaller movements that the C8 sees

- A need to work on my V-Curves in FocusMax

- I need to collimate the C8 @ f/10, all the in/out/in/out with the Hyperstar cant be helping much :wink:

- Need to batch PEC train the mount

- I need to add more weight to the tripod to steady it

That's a Bl**** good image in spite of all those issues Steve.

Are you having a competition between M51's, last year against this year. You didn't have the QHY8 last year did you?

Ron. :wink:

Yes, I`ll be comparing M51s... last year I only had my 350D

June 2007 (accidently taken as jpgs)

m51-20070602-350d-normal-100k.jpg

Another June 2007 (accidently take as jpgs... again... but small size jpgs!)

m51-20070627.png

I did snag a quick look at M51 with the QHY8 in December 2007, but I didnt nail the focus and it didnt have many subs

m51_20071210.jpg

Archived