Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars - tempurature acclimitization

What is the best way to care for binoculars with the temperature contrast of cold outside and warm indoors?  What should I do before going outside to stargaze with the binoculars AND what should I do when bring the binoculars inside?  I'm concerned mainly about condensation and stuff.  Thank you!

Binoculars don't really need time to reach ambient temperature, they are ready to go,

but when you take them from being cold outside back indoors to a warm environment,

then you will encounter condensation, whatever you do don't be tempted to wipe them,

just leave them out of the case with the caps off, and the condensation will evaporate

all on it's own, it's the same with telescope eyepieces, the only time you need to clean

the lenses is when you can't see through them properly, then you clean them with a

binocular lense cleaner and a special cloth that normally comes with it, so just leave

them for an hour or so and all will be fine, you can wipe the outer casing, but leave the

lenses well alone, enjoy your scope and Clear Sky's!

When it has been very cold outside, I put my expensive bins into the coldest room in the house, left out of the case with caps off. Put them back in the case following day. Put your bins into a garage, pre observing to cool down if you so desire, I find they cool down fairly quickly in any case, straight out of the house :)

Archived