Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader IR Cut filter for Canon 30D

I want to modify my Canon 30d but I'm not sure which filter to get. I've seen a Baader IR Cut filter on Astronomia and 365Astronomy which looks like what I need ? I'd like to get some Nebula shots, namely M42 and NGC7000 and want to get the most out of the camera that I can. Can anyone suggest a filter and / or supplier?

If you will only use it for astro you can just go full spectrum and not replace the pre installed it filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did consider that as this camera will only be used for astro; but I read somewhere that my pics "..would be "swamped" with unwanted IR light?"  Not sure if that's a fact or not; I also read somewhere that I may not be able to achieve infinity focus; also not sure if that's a fact or not...

Both are true if you are using a standard DSLR lens, if however you are using a scope then focus should not be an issue. You can also use a filter to block out unwanted IR light.

I leave my UHC filter in and it seems to serve well for this.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

It is probably better to limit the IR wavelengths that are being thrown at the sensor by the addition of something like the Baader replacement.

You want the Ha to get through and the present filter removes about 80% of that, the Baader simply allows the Ha through and cuts off a bit further along the spectrum. Without any filter then wavelengths like 750, 800, 850  get sent to the sensor and these will be at different focal planes so in effect out of focus, scopes are not designed with wavelengths outside of the normal visual taken into account. That is if the sensor is sensative to them.

You may be able to put an IR filter like the Baader in the optical path if the DSLR is part of a scope and focuser, expect you could put one in any extension tube used, or in the diagonal if used.

It is a case of not 100% needed but I suspect it is better if you had something.

The result will also depend on the wavelengths that the camera cmos sensor is sensative to.

I want to modify my Canon 30d but I'm not sure which filter to get. I've seen a Baader IR Cut filter on Astronomia and 365Astronomy which looks like what I need ? I'd like to get some Nebula shots, namely M42 and NGC7000 and want to get the most out of the camera that I can. Can anyone suggest a filter and / or supplier?

If you are going to go for a full spectrum mod, all filters removed then save your money for an IDAS P2 or D1 LP filter as you'd probably need it most of the time anyway and these are already IR blocked. There is also a version that fits inside the camera and close to the sensor. 

A.G

I'm thinking of having the full spectrum mod as well. I have an Astronomiks CLS CCD filter would this do the same cutoff as the Baader?

Yes the CCD version is IR blocked and it is also like a nebula filter similar to a Baader UHC-S L Booster.

A.G

Archived