Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first attempt at Video Astronomy

avtaram

I'm normally visual only but I got very excited about Video Astronomy after reading a post about the Lodestar X2.

I then realised that I had a 1.3MP CMOS digital eyepiece video camera lying about somewhere, which I had bought to use in my Celestron 76mm newtonian.

The scope was a Christmas present and I thought I would try my hand at AP, without any success I might add and quickly moved on to Visual only.

Having read a number of posts on Video Astronomy I thought I would try the 1.3MP CMOS video camera in my ZenithStar ZS71 ED.

Around six o'clock a couple of days ago I saw the Moon in a clear blue sky and so set up the ZS71 and took a number of shots.

The software that came with the Camera is WINJOE but there was no user manual so I have no idea what all the settings are supposed to do but I fiddled around with it until I thought I had something passable.

It would be great to get some feedback and some pointers as to what all these settings etc do and how to improve the images.

I want to see how I get on with this camera for a couple of months and research into VA before I think of upgrading.

Are there any books that you would recommend on the subject.

The image below is unprocessed and taken during daylight in a clear blue sky.

Avtar

post-30866-0-80243600-1412369391_thumb.j

Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards is a book I would love to have a copy of, but I cannot come to terms with the postage from the UK.

Your image is inspiring. Keep it up!

Richard

Hi Avtar

Great first image - there's something quite special about using technology to assist in our viewing experience.

Making Every Photon Count is essential reading for anyone starting out in Astrophotography - however it's not focussed on Electronic and Video astronomy.

Steve Massey's Deep Sky Video Astronomy is a good starter, but to be honest just having a look through the topics in this forum is a good starting point.

You can use an Alt/Az mount for Video Astronomy as we usually keep the exposures at 30s or below. The key is fast focal ration - aim for F4 or F5 or even faster if you are hoping to 'see" any DSO's.

If you can afford a Lodestar, then Paul81's Lodestar Live software is very good - however you can get good results with low light video cameras like the PD1 and the SCB2000/SDC435.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Avtar

Great first image - there's something quite special about using technology to assist in our viewing experience.

Making Every Photon Count is essential reading for anyone starting out in Astrophotography - however it's not focussed on Electronic and Video astronomy.

Steve Massey's Deep Sky Video Astronomy is a good starter, but to be honest just having a look through the topics in this forum is a good starting point.

You can use an Alt/Az mount for Video Astronomy as we usually keep the exposures at 30s or below. The key is fast focal ration - aim for F4 or F5 or even faster if you are hoping to 'see" any DSO's.

If you can afford a Lodestar, then Paul81's Lodestar Live software is very good - however you can get good results with low light video cameras like the PD1 and the SCB2000/SDC435.

Clear skies

Paul

Thanks for the advice Paul, I'm aiming to upgrade to a Lodestar once I get to grips with the subject and have got all I can with the gear I already have.

Avtar

+1 on Steve Massey's Deep Sky Video Astronomy. Very good book to have about. Another one is Video Astronomy (Revised Edition) - Steve Massey & Thomas A. Dobbins & Eric J. Douglass - pub. Sky Publishing Corp, the parent company of Sky & Telescope Magazine in the USA. Well worth having.

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave (with a new MallinCam Jr PRO)

Archived