Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Saturn wow bit

thing

Whilst being completely in agreement about the wow factor of seeing Saturn for the first and subsequent times, is it just me that gets a bigger thrill out of the Moon? It's always seemed pretty mysterious to me, and to think we've been there is a bit special. Mind you, when I see Titan I'm always amazed that the little pinprick of light has got one of our spaceships on it. Pretty awe inspiring to me, I can never help thinking that we're a clever blumming lot in between all the killing and general disturbed stuff we get up to when I see little Titan and a bit of man made stuff sitting on it.

The Moon is something special especially when you get those nights when you can really crank up the magnification and get up, close and personal with it. But Saturn really is the one with the definate 'wow' factor when the rings are more open like last year.

Tony..

Ah, just had a thought about that. I think Saturn's orbit is about 30 years so if the rings go from full one way to full the other way and then back again each orbit thats about 7 and a half years between 'edge on' and 'fully open' per cycle. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm just guessing.

Whilst being completely in agreement about the wow factor of seeing Saturn for the first and subsequent times, is it just me that gets a bigger thrill out of the Moon? It's always seemed pretty mysterious to me, and to think we've been there is a bit special. Mind you, when I see Titan I'm always amazed that the little pinprick of light has got one of our spaceships on it. Pretty awe inspiring to me, I can never help thinking that we're a clever blumming lot in between all the killing and general disturbed stuff we get up to when I see little Titan and a bit of man made stuff sitting on it.

The Moon is simply awesome. I think it's a primal thing- She features in a huge amount of Mythology too. Most cultures had some kind of Moon deity, some spiritual paths still do. The first time I saw the moon through my wee telescope I was blown sideways! And that was during the day. The heaven's are just spectacular :wink:

Peace and Clear Skies.

I agree with you becky, it was awsome seeing the rings of saturn for the first time but i get a bigger thrill looking at the moon, i think its because you can see more in better detail and its fun trying to crank up the power to spot the little craterlets. JMHO :wink: Mind you it's fun looking for the faint fuzzies too and also very very frustrating as well.

Faint fuzzies are why I've had a go at photographing them. I was out last night and apart from aligning the scope I didn't use an eyepiece all night. Strangely liberating not worrying too much about your night vision as well.

I have just come in having seen my first view of the moon. In the middle section I saw four large shallow craters and three others that were smaller and deeper, then a tiny one.

When observing Saturn I was able to make out two of its moons. Looks like Titan and Rhea.

As a newbie, both were outstanding.

A happy bunny.

John

Archived