Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power adaptor on NEQ6 mount

coenie777

I have fitted a locally bought no name 22A 220V - 12V power supply to my mount.

I checked that it was tip positive on the barrel plug and noted that the output DC volts were 12.48V which seemed fine.

Last night when packing up I touched the tip of the plug when I unplugged it. It gave me a light shock.

Someone told me today that this must mean that AC power is rippling in it. I set the multimeter to AC and measured the plug and got a fright when I measured 26,4V AC on the same line showing 12V DC.

Can someone with electrical knowledge please advise if this is reason for concern? I am worried that the excessive and "wrong" AC power on this plug will damage my mount's electronics.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hi

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Normally when the connector is plugged in I think the -ve would be effectively grounded and the +ve loaded. When you measured the AC ripple it was probably floating as no load was present. I'd recommend switching the adapter off  and waiiting for the adapter led to go out before unplugging from the mount.

I'm sure there must be an engineer here who can advise.

Louise

Archived