NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder scope position within bracket

Hi,

When the screws on my finder scope are loose I can slide the scope back and forth in the holding bracket. Is there any recommended position that the finder scope should be within the bracket (e.g. bracket positioned at front of finder, centre of finder or rear of finder), and what is the logic behind this?

The bracket is of the 3 pin variety and I always struggle with it to get it aligned properly, if anyone's got any general tips for alignment that would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

There should be a rubber band on the front of the finder scope this sits in a slot in the scope holder so it shouldn't slide either way.....

There's no rubber band on my finder scope, it is quite cheap though. What would be the normal or expected position of a finder scope in the scope holder?

The telescope is a Seben 700-76 and the finder is the one that came with it.

I think this is the same scope and you can see the finder in the picture. It looks roughly centered on this one.

Surely if its centered though, as you adjust the pins you won't get much movement when trying to align?

On other finders of similar design a rubber "O" ring is put on the finder tube and that holds it tight in the holder at the front end while the 3 adjustment screws bear on the back end of the tube to allow the tilt to be adjusted.

I'd have a look in a DIY store for a suitably sized rubber "O" ring or even a thick rubber band might suffice.

On other finders of similar design a rubber "O" ring is put on the finder tube and that holds it tight in the holder at the front end while the 3 adjustment screws bear on the back end of the tube to allow the tilt to be adjusted.

I'd have a look in a DIY store for a suitably sized rubber "O" ring or even a thick rubber band might suffice.

That does make a lot of sense.

I'll bet there's supposed to be a rubber band but isn't and thats why I'm having such a hard time aligning the finder scope.

I'll see if I can find a suitable replacement.

Thanks for all your help guys.

That does make a lot of sense.

I'll bet there's supposed to be a rubber band but isn't and thats why I'm having such a hard time aligning the finder scope.

I'll see if I can find a suitable replacement.

Thanks for all your help guys.

A Telrad would be so a lot better.....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

Just to let you know. I checked the finder last night and there was no rubber band, but there was a slight indentation where one was obviously supposed to go. So I managed to find a rubber band of the correct size and now the finder is much easier to align!

Thanks for all your assistance with this.

Cheers,

Lee

Archived