Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which non-goto Alt-Az mount for a C90 spotter.

{CP}-Brooker

Hi

I recently bought a C90 Mak spotter from FLO as a quick grab-n-go :saturn:. I m really pleased with the size and optics but trying to use it on a standard photo tripod is impossible due to lack of control.

I ve read about the AZ-3 and Celestron heavy Duty but can t decide which would be the better solution. Both are the same price wise.

Any real world experience of this scope on these mounts? Which would you go for?

Cheers

CP

Hi CP,

I use an AZ-3 with a F/6.5 102mm 3.3kg refractor on it and it works very well. Having looked carefully at the Celestron HD mount it looks very similar to the AZ-3 with the exception that the Celestron mount seems to come complete with an adaptor so that scopes / binoculars which need a 1/4 inch photo tripod screw fitting can fit right on wheras this accessory is an extra with the AZ-3 I think.

They are good mounts for lighter scopes IMHO and the slow motion controls work pretty well - I regulary use 200x on double stars with my refractor :wink:

John

If you dont mind throwing a little money at it then a manfrotto junior 410 head (geared fine control) will give you the control you seek on a standard tripod..

The vixen porta mount is supposed to be really good as well.

It will fit on things like the acuter merlin driven mounts but you will need to balance it carefully (my C5 works ok on mine on a dovetail)

Archived