NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best method to piggyback a telescope?

Hello all,

I currently have an 8" Newtonian and a 4" refractor which I intend to use as an auto guider at some point. If I also purchase a 4" or so APO refractor for nebula/widefield imaging, is it possible to piggyback the two 4" telescoped on top of the Newt (not one above the other, but the two refractors side by side)? 

The 8" tube rings don't really lend themselves to having a second set of holes drilled to take a dovetail bar. Also, the newts uses a long bar, and the 4" refractor used a medium bar. Does anybody have ant images of a similar set-up?

Many thanks,

Andrew

A set-up like you have in mind would certainly look amazing. I wish I had one to show you.

I imagine the smaller scopes installed on opposite sides of the big tube, maybe with all three scopes next to each other on a mounting plate, or with the smaller tubes attached to the larger one.

How heavy are the three scopes combined?

I dont have the weights to hand at the moment, sorry. The plan for the new year is a mesu 200 mount which can take upto 100kg.

I will be fitting the 8" newt and a 14" SCT edge HD side by side. The two 4" refracfors would then be side by side ontop of the newtonian.

The 14"SCT will be for planetary imaging, the newt for galaxies, the 4" APO for widefield and solar and the 4" ref as an auto guider. The obsevatory will have a 1m opening so all four telescopes will be unhindered.

Archived