SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horse Head Nebula

rawhead

Looking through my copy of ‘Illustrated guide to astronomical wonders’ last night (like you do) I was surprised to read that very few amateur astronomers have actually seen the horses head in the horse head nebula!

Has anyone here actually seen it through a scope?

Cheers

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried on a number of occasions using an 8-inch scope from a dark site, but never succeeded. With a UHC filter I could barely see the surrounding nebulosity, but the Horsehead is a very small dark notch in that nebulous region - you're trying to see something black against something very faint, and that ain't easy. An H-beta filter is said to be the way to do it.

Andrew

i think what EA might have meant is because it is a dark nebula (i hope :rolleyes:) it can't be "actually Seen" you can only see where it obstucts the nebula behind it.

at least i think that is what he meant? :insects1:

I've tried to see the Horsey in the following scopes: C8, 10" F/6 Newt, 16" LX200, 17" Newt, 18" Newt, 20" Newt, 20" Ritchey/Cretien, 22" Newt, 28" Newt. I have failed each and every time! I've tried it from the desert floor and from Kitt Peak, Mount Lemon, and Mount Graham. I have used every manner of filter you can name, from wratten to research grade Johnson of most colors.

As mentioned, the nebulosity is possible, but the Horsey is so small and difficult next to the glare of Alnitak, it takes quite a bit of doing to see it. More than I have, so far.

Theoretically, it's visible. Realistically, it's extremely difficult at best. I can't tell you how many have told me they've seen it, but upon further investigation it turns out to be Ngc 2024-the Flame or Tank Tracks neby to the east of Alnitak. (Horsey is to the south.)

Well if you haven't seen it with all of that stuff Astroman then it must be an extremely tricky object. It makes me wonder how it was found it in the first place - anybody know?

Well if you haven't seen it with all of that stuff Astroman then it must be an extremely tricky object. It makes me wonder how it was found it in the first place - anybody know?

Photographically.

And I'm not saying it's impossible. It's just very very tough. I'll be trying it with the 20" and as many filters as I can name soon. :rolleyes:

According to that great encyclopedia of everything, Wikipedia, it was discovered on photographic plates by Williamina Fleming, who was an assistant to William Pickering (who actually took the plates), in 1888. Must have been quite a surprise seeing something so distinctive appear. The hubble image of the HH looks amazing as well.

Sam

Archived