Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Skyx serious, any users out there?

philj

My Skymap pro 11 that I have been using since version 3 something is now way out of date and Im thinking of getting The Skyx Serious Astronomer version. It will run my observatory mount and I am considering T point as well.

I was wondering if any users of The Skyx out there have any recommendations, is it all the advertising says it is, would I be better with the pro etc? Any recommendations welcome.

I have tried Cdc and Stellarium and am not that impressed as they dont give much more than Skymap pro

Ta in advance

Thanks for that BlueAstra, I didnt know that renewing the license. But I suppose its similar to my Skymap in that I had to pay for uogrades from 9 to 11 so no probs unless its pricey. I want to run toint eventually so thats what swayed me towards TSX, ive had a look at SN and thats my second choice

I think the renewal is only for the camera support on the Professional version.

I've been using The Sky in it's different incarnations for well over a decade. I currently run The Sky X Serious edition. I love it! It's my go-to sky charting (planetarium) software. I use it to find reclusive objects and run my scopes. As well as to track things and predict satellite passes that would show up on imaging I'm doing. It's very, very accurate. And the Bisque's who develop it will answer questions quite quickly on the website.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thanks for that Dave thats great, Im looking at the serious edition, I doubt if I will use camera control but you never know. I have a hankering for t pointing my observatory cge mount as well as getting a serious astro software package

• 7 months later...

I have spent the last month or so reviewing and testing various software and settled on TheSkyX Pro with the TPoint and Camera add-ons.   Extensive planetarium as well as mount modelling, plate solving, image and video capture, guiding, focus control, filter wheel control and rotator control (although not using the latter yet).

Runs all my equipment (some natively , the rest through ASCOM)

Outside of image processing its pretty much all I need (and more) and it is incredibly easy to use (even mount modelling and plate solving is easy).   Only thing I can't yet do directly from TSX Pro is PEC correction (which I have gone with PEMPro for).   At some point later on I will get into automation for which I will likely use CCDAP (as ACP needs to use Maxim which I dont want).

For an all in one solution right up to image processing I think TSX Pro is great - really enjoying getting to know the software and the support forum is very good. - even with beginners like me.

Archived