Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

second hand mounts - what to look for?

Dave_D

So, as soon as i decide to sell my trusty Vixen GP, i'll be looking for something like a second hand neq6. Sadly, my plans for an AZ EQ6GT have been sunk faster than the hands started outstretching demanding what pittance i earn so second hand seems to be the only option left.

Any advice on what to look for to make sure i don't get a dodo? especially bearing in mind it may not be possible to actually view the mount beforehand.

The mounts are pretty robust- bent altitude bolts is the most common problem. Without actually seeing a mount running and checking the axes for looseness & play etc. your going to have to rely on the word of the seller.

I bought a very old (early 1990's) black EQ6 recently for £240 off E-bay. I spent some more money re-building it bringing it up to Syntrek spec and also giving it a Rowan Astronomy belt mod. Now it's as good (or better) than my other NEQ6 mounts brought from new and tracks very well runs much quieter too.

Without going in person you will have to take the gamble a trust the seller. You can look at their ratings and hopefully have some good reviews. You could also ask the seller to video tape the mount in action. This will show you if the electronics works and you mind be able to hear if theirs anything wrong as well.

Any advice on what to look for to make sure i don't get a dodo? especially bearing in mind it may not be possible to actually view the mount beforehand.

I have to say that for a private sale, that would be my #1, 2 and 3 recommendations. :sad:

Otherwise you'd be looking at buying s/h from a rusted retailer. Possibly less risk but that brings a higher price.

You may find that eBay's buyer protection would be some help here. Other than that, ask around at your local astro soc.

Using PayPal is another great protection. If the mount is damaged on arrival, via the carriers fault or the seller fault, you can dispute the claim by saying you didnt get what you payed for and PayPal will refund your money. Its happened to me and I got my money back. Very glad I used PayPal and the extra 3% is well worth the cost. Especially if you can't go and see the product before buying. Its a much bigger issue here in the USA since our country is so large and use astronomers are small in number and spread out. I always use PayPal for any online purchase. Plus technically the seller is required to pay the 3% and it is illegal for them to ask you to pay for it. So you could get around not paying the 3% to begin with...though they could refuse to sell it to you if you don't...even though that not how PayPal is set up to work.

Archived