Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

T2 - dSLR.... Barlow or...?

NosamLuap

I'm a total newbie (2 clear nights since I got my first scope! It's a 130mm reflector)

I have a 10mm and 25mm eyepiece, and a 2x Barlow. Already, I've had some great views of the moon with the 10mm eyepiece, but if I swap that out for the Barlow to shoot it with my dSLR, the moon is far smaller... so is there an eyepiece/thingy that allows me to attach the dSLR and an eyepiece at the same time?

(I did promise myself that I wouldn't buy more kit yet until I'd got used to what I have, but I'm not sure my good intentions will hold!)

Thanks Luke. I don't think that's what I want to do - if I mount the camera to the scope directly, then I won't even get the benefit of the 2x from the Barlow. I want more magnification, such as I get when using a short focal length eyepiece. In my brain, what I need is eyepiece (10mm ish) with a t2 thread on the end...

But I'm not sure how I'd focus - I can focus an eyepiece using the scopes focusing, but I'm guessing I'd also need the ability to alter the distance of the camera from the eyepiece? (I may have invented an impossible piece of kit here!)

In my brain, what I need is eyepiece (10mm ish) with a t2 thread on the end... 

Not sure ive heard of something like that. When you attach the camera directly to the scope with the parts i mentioned, you basically have a telephoto lens on the camera. You can use the zoom feature on the camera then, to zoom in on your target. Thats how i do things when i do take an image (which is rarely).

On some eyepieces such as the Baader Hyperion EP's the eyecup screws off to reveal a threaded, this then has a T2 adaptor and extension tubes.

With this setup you can connect a DSLR to an EP for high magnification.

I have the Baader Hyperion zoom and adaptor, this gives a lot of versatility but it is heavy when coupled with a DSLR so make sure your mount and focuser can take the weight.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

I also have the Hyperion zoom and all the adapters, but apart from the 2 inch visual back adapter, i have no idea what the other bits are for. You (D4N) reckon I can attach a DSLR diectly to the zoom EP by removing the eye cup?. I'll have to investigate that. Not that i'd be imaging with my camera and 8SE.

Thanks all, especially D4n for what looks like a promising lead... maybe one for Santa to consider :)

The Hyperion 8-24mm zoom is a great piece of kit. People say its expensive but i dont think so because with it you get:

8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24mm EP kit. Granted, there is little difference between a single mm, but its all you will ever need,really. 

You also get a few adapters which i'm sure are useful for something.

The Hyperion 8-24mm zoom is a great piece of kit. People say its expensive but i dont think so because with it you get:

8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24mm EP kit. Granted, there is little difference between a single mm, but its all you will ever need,really.

You also get a few adapters which i'm sure are useful for something.

Expensive is relative ;-)

If you get the version with the Barlow it goes all the way down to 3.5mm, and yes there are lots of adapters for it.

The Barlow version comes with a 1.25" filter thread to T2 adaptor, very handy.

And yes it's not expensive, just costly ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived