Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Setup or not setup, that is the question

I have a simple question regarding using the Skywatcher Synscan when in PC link mode. 

Do I need to go through the complete setup on the Synscan (location, time etc) and then do an alignment, or can I simply find a star in stellarium, Starry Night etc slew the telescope to the selected star, then make sure its in the centre of my eyepiece ?

I tried this tonight on Vega and all was well, but when I asked it to slew to the moon it was about 10 deg out, but slewed back to Vega perfectly.

I'm sure I'm missing something fundamental, and any guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks 

Moley

The handset will require the date and time input ever time it fires up, even after the lead drops out of the handset, i taped mine in for good measure, alignment will be required if the mount is moves in any way when you finish observing and set it up for the next session, if it in a Obby or  on a pier and the scope and mount are set to the park position then it should retain its position....

Thanks for that. I will try setting up the handset the next time the clouds grant me vision of something other than drizzle !

I'm amazed that I managed to get it to find anything considering my lack of any proper preparation.

I suppose the bottom line, as with most things is RTFM !

Archived