NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Dumbbell Nebula 30 single second exposure

Ultrapenguin

That's a cracker of an image ccd, I am also very surprised by the results modern DSLR's can achieve. To give some hope for others, although my image is no where near as nice as yours it was taken from a very light polluted garden with a 6 inch scope and a canon 1100d  I purchased from ebay for £125. So you can get half decent images with basic equipment especially if you use a modern DSLR. I still really like your image though ccd and I am dreaming about what kind of visual views you must get through that 12 inch scope!

The scope is really developed for AP, so tbh, I haven't really looked through it other than to collimate. Because I put a feathertouch focuser on it, it won't reach focus with a diagonal and 2 inch EP...

But you are right about DSLR's today, the noise is so much less than a few years ago. The only problem is that they are not very red sensitive..

Adrian

That really is a cracker Olly, you can begin to see filament structure in your image very impressive.

Thanks very much for the kind words

I found that a lower ISO had better results where I live because of LP, I think if I remember I used 800, I did try 1600 but got too washed out too quickly

Since I did that one I have had my camera modded so would like to return and do that one again, and compare the results

Regards

Olly

Archived