Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First WOW! moment!

cmaxx

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After buying our first "real" telescope (6" newt on an EQ5 clone) and studying all about polar alignment during the first 2 weeks of ownership due to cloudy nights, my 16yo and I went out for our first night under the stars.  Spent nearly an hour tying to align the scope to Polaris, during which time my boy kept asking "Dad, what's that bright one over there?"  Finally frustrated with the alignment process, I swung the thing around and pointed it at the "star" he kept asking about.  Wow!  There was Jupiter, clearly identifiable with its two cloud bands.  What's more, the Galilean moons were strung out like four pearls all on one side.  Beautiful. 

Mi first "WOW" moment was Jupiter.. I pointed the finder at a bright star that I suspected to be Jupiter, and there it was, just in the middle and in focus, satellites included, I didn't expect to see that much and I almost jumped backwards startled.

I'm using the Skywatcher Mercury 607. I had a little go at capturing some images just by holding my phone up to the EP, but eventually want to get an adapter for my dslr. 

And welcome to the money pit of astro photography  :grin:  I'm just giving you a heads up to help you realise that when you get your adapter, your scope will probably be not quite big enough. 

Archived