Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can Lodestar Guide Itself?

Martyk22

I just received my Lodestar X2C, but unfortunately the weather and moon have precluded it's use so far. I plan to use it both to guide my other camera and to give it a try as an imager for both "near live" and still images.  Will be using it on a C8 at about f/5 to start.

I was planning to try and use an OAG, but was wondering, is there any reason the Lodestar couldn't  guide itself if I use ST-4? This is my first attempt at using a guide camera so there certainly may be some basic issues I'm missing here. 

Thanks,

Marty

No it cannot guide itself, because when it is exposing the light frame then the sensor cannot be read from. The mount could have drifted in that time. A DSO exposure will be many seconds long (sometimes many tens of minutes) whereas a guide camera will typically run at 2-4 seconds.

I do recall the SX had a unique program/ hardware called "Star 2000"? that took an image in one "field" [alternative lines] whilst guiding on the second "field" that auto swapped "fields" in the middle of the exposure the complete the image.  The actual exposure duration was half the gross exposure. I don't know how successful it was but it is possible and not a myth   :grin:

Archived