NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C8 Guidescope mounting bits advice please.

Ewan

Hi, i am after a decent but cost effective way of mounting my AA 10x60 finder guider to the top of the C8.

I have this vat the moment as you can see in the pic http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16750&cat=329&page=1

The 'usual' orange Celestron mounting bar like the one attached to the underside of my C8 has no holes along its length to use these rings, i was thinking if i bought another 'orange' mounting plate the same maybe there are some adjustable sliding rail parts i can then screw the 110mm guide rings to ?

post-11075-0-01215600-1410374465.jpg

Any advice / links would be massivly appreciated.

Thanks Robert,

So i need 2 of these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-mini-dovetail-series/adm-mds-dovetail-plate-adapter.html & the C8 ADM plate then good to go.

Im trying it out as before, very small mount on the side of the scope, it's guiding well but i get better balance overall when the guider is on top i feel.

Thanks Robert,

So i need 2 of these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-mini-dovetail-series/adm-mds-dovetail-plate-adapter.html & the C8 ADM plate then good to go.

Im trying it out as before, very small mount on the side of the scope, it's guiding well but i get better balance overall when the guider is on top i feel.

Yes those are the things you need. You can screw each ring directly to a ADM Dovetail Adaptor or alternatively screw an ADM Dovetail adaptor to each end of the existing bar+rings assembly. The latter might be better if you are going to be attaching / removing from finder from the scope regularly, and also might be less prone to flex although I don't believe flex will be a major problem as the Altair Astro guider is so light. You've probably already discovered that mounting the finder on top of the C8 creates a surprising amount of extra leverage!

Yes those are the things you need. You can screw each ring directly to a ADM Dovetail Adaptor or alternatively screw an ADM Dovetail adaptor to each end of the existing bar+rings assembly. The latter might be better if you are going to be attaching / removing from finder from the scope regularly, and also might be less prone to flex although I don't believe flex will be a major problem as the Altair Astro guider is so light. You've probably already discovered that mounting the finder on top of the C8 creates a surprising amount of extra leverage!

As in the image with the 80EDT it is so much better being on top & rock solid which is why the SCT is getting the same.

Thanks again.

Archived