Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which filters to put in the wheel?

RikM

I currently have L, R, G, B, Ha, OIII, & SII but only a 5 place wheel. It is currently loaded with RGB, Ha, & OIII should I swap out the red or the green for the SII?

I will probably go for a 7place wheel when I can find a cheap, light, manual one. I don't really want a heavy USB wheel because that would also mean changing the focuser probably and I will put up with quite a bit of hassle before spending money.

I tend to do HaRGB quite frequently. If there is no reflection nebulosity to be had then I think luminance is more trouble than it's worth, bloating the stars and diluting star colour. I don't use Ha as lum, though, or only very slightly. I apply it to red. So maybe L could be the loser in this game of musical chairs, until you want to do M45 and then you can ditch the Ha filter!

Olly

I used to have LRGB+Ha. When I got the OIII, I dropped the luminance to give RGB+Ha+OIII. The question now is which of the colours makes way for the SII?

My current thinking is to drop the green and run RB+Ha+OIII+SII. That way I can still shoot some Broadband targets, I just have to use a synthetic green.

Yes. Certainly will try to do that. I'm just trying to leave myself the greatest flexibility so I can minimise the number of times I have to change the set up. Is there such a thing as a manual 7x 1.25" wheel these days?

Mhmm, I had the same dilemma. Switched to a Starlight Xpress USB Filter Wheel. It is entirely USB-powered so no need for a 12V supply and comes with a 7x1.25" carousel. Also good is that there are like 5 different carousels available as extras, in case you ever change filter sizes to mounted or unmounted.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived