Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounting without tons of money

Boyd

I have an old xt8 reflector that does good yeoman astronomy, but I've grown tired of the dobs mont. Is there a fairly inexpensive goto mount I can prop the ota on. My primary use is observation club stuff like doubles, planets, Herschel objects, galaxies, etc. nothing CCD.

My budget is very low, so assume my only real requirement is not shaky. Don't know if what I want is possible for under $500.

Thanks

Hello Boyd, welcome to this forum. I think you already have the best mount for the XT8 within your suggested budget. I have one the same and could recommend the Intelliscope

"GOTO" system as an upgrade to your current use and within budget.  :smiley:

I like that, thanks, but I don't think he will meet me half way from Florida... :)

I will rethink. The ota is decent, but the mount is coming apart...cheep particle board. If would not be an ideal grab and go, nor would I want to fuss with it a lot.

I could drop back an punt with my 3" refractor, but that can't get many of the Herschel objects...

Archived