NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

High quality image through eyepiece not transferring over to images through DSLR

Arcturian

Last night I had a really amazing view of the moon, so I got my DSLR out and fitted to the scope, haven't had much experience with the camera & the scope together, but i played alot with exposure length, iso balancing, focal length of camera/eyepiece setup and a few other more minor settings in the camera. I'll post the images I got below, though none of them show much detail at all

http://postimg.org/image/6zddo6g0x/

http://postimg.org/image/9h0xx2719/

There's tonnes more, alot of them are over exposed so i left them out and put in some of the pictures that got anywhere close to representing what I was seeing. What could be the problem? The observed image through the eyepiece was amazing, very intricate but none of that was captured with any of the settings I could play with. Please let me know if I can give any info that might help you help me :smiley:

post-37656-0-35340200-1409847480_thumb.j

post-37656-0-84532600-1409847491_thumb.j

post-37656-0-20711700-1409847526_thumb.j

Just use an iPhone, that works ;-)

0571729cc713db041b2a759f8ffcb947.jpg

My apologies, just teasing a little :-).

I agree that the first issue seems to be focus. Could you let us know detail about how you were trying to take this ie prime focus or eyepiece projection, scope etc and then people can probably help more.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're probably right. I've read about problems imaging through my model without a T-adapter (I only use a T-Ring), it effectively lengthens focal length, do you guys think that modification will let intricate detail be photographed?

focal length of camera/eyepiece setup

Sounds like you are attempting afocal imaging i.e. telescope + eyepiece + camera lens + camera body. If so, you will be much better off using prime focus imaging, where you just use telescope + camera body.

NigelM

Getting your camera at focus can be a pain, especially if the focal point is outside the range if our focuser!! As suggested, pop a phone camera down the eyepiece and fire away.... You'"" be surprised how well it can work!

PEterW

Archived