NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher EQ5 v Celestron Omni CG-4

DRT

I've been searching for detailed specifications on these two mounts with little success. I own an EQ5 and today secured an Omni 150 Newt on the CG-4 for a bargain price. My guess is that I won't need both but can't find detailed specs that allow me to see the differences.

Can anyone point me to a good source? (The Celestron and SkyWatcher websites are both useless)

Thanks

Derek

Thanks, Steve.

I've already been there and all the other online astro shops. Unfortunately, all of them seem to have just copied what is on the manufacturer's site and do not include specifics about the max-min height, weight, load capacity, etc so all I have to go on at the moment is a picture of the CG-4 which to all intents and purposes looks like an EQ5 with a different label on it.

Perhaps this thread will turn into a comparative specification/review when the CG-4 turns up :wink:

The CG4 is pretty much the same as the Skywatcher EQ3-2 although it's steel tubed tripod legs are more stable than the EQ3-2's aluminium ones. The Celestron CG5 is equivalent to an EQ5 although the CG5 2" steel tubed legs give it additional stability, and height.

Archived