auto tracking sky max127

hi peeps, how does auto tracking work with syn scan goto, i set my scope up on jupiter goto options on the hand set then auto track and then nothing happens.  jupiter slowly wanders off and im left looking at nothing

The goto's need to be set up and aligned on order for it to track.

Usually this mean setting the scope to an initial position, entering location, date and time data and then you doing the alignment procedure.

After that the scope should be able to determine the corrections required and where it is pointed. Then the goto aspect should operate and the tracking also.

One aspect is once the goto is set up and running you have to goto a target, you cannot really use the scope manually afterwards.

If you used the goto to go to Deneb and centered that, then manually moved to Lyra you could not ask the scope to goto Altair. Simply the last location the scope knew it was at was Deneb, and so the movement it makes would be as if it were at Deneb.

One aspect is once the goto is set up and running you have to goto a target, you cannot really use the scope manually afterwards.

If you used the goto to go to Deneb and centered that, then manually moved to Lyra you could not ask the scope to goto Altair. Simply the last location the scope knew it was at was Deneb, and so the movement it makes would be as if it were at Deneb.

Note: Celestron not Sys Scan:

Is that true ? My experience is that moving manually does not affect the goto's next object, although I admit I have never made such a manual adjust as Deneb to Lyra. eg Deneb is off center, it will stay off center every time I visit it irrespective of any manual adjustments I make between visits back to it.

OP: after setting up scope on Jupiter, you must then 'send' the goto to Jupiter and then it will track.

Note: Celestron not Sys Scan:

Is that true ? My experience is that moving manually does not affect the goto's next object, although I admit I have never made such a manual adjust as Deneb to Lyra. eg Deneb is off center, it will stay off center every time I visit it irrespective of any manual adjustments I make between visits back to it.

OP: after setting up scope on Jupiter, you must then 'send' the goto to Jupiter and then it will track.

I agree, manual movements shouldn't make a difference. I have 2 goto scopes, the SW Mak 127 and a Celestron CPC 1100 and you can move them manually once they've been aligned but the goto still works fine afterwards.

James

I cannot see how the scope will take account of your movement manually performed.

So I think it assumes that it is pointed at whatever object it was last requested to goto.

As you could move the scope manually across half the sky.

If you asked the scope to goto Deneb, then manually moved to Altair.

I believe the scope has the idea that it is still pointed at Deneb, so subsequent goto request is as if pointed at Deneb.

Will agree that there is the possibility that the manual movement could be determined aand accounted for, but there is also the general centering of a target just after the goto is complete.

Actually may just have talked myself out of what I said above.

Just realised that all the goto's I know of can be pointed at something and asked what it is.

This means therefore that it must have some idea of where it is pointed on a none goto basis.

If you have gone to an object then the handset says what it is.

So the request "What am I pointed at?" means manual movement and the scope knowing, or determining, the RA/Dec so it must therefore know where it is pointed after a manual movement. Meaning therefore that subsequent goto is OK.

I withdraw the opinion that a manual movement destroys the subsequent goto.

Shame as I have told quite a few that this is the case - but I will leave them in ignorance, it is probably safer they do not go wandering all over the sky.

I cannot see how the scope will take account of your movement manually performed.

So I think it assumes that it is pointed at whatever object it was last requested to goto.

As you could move the scope manually across half the sky.

If you asked the scope to goto Deneb, then manually moved to Altair.

I believe the scope has the idea that it is still pointed at Deneb, so subsequent goto request is as if pointed at Deneb.

Will agree that there is the possibility that the manual movement could be determined aand accounted for, but there is also the general centering of a target just after the goto is complete.

Actually may just have talked myself out of what I said above.

Just realised that all the goto's I know of can be pointed at something and asked what it is.

This means therefore that it must have some idea of where it is pointed on a none goto basis.

If you have gone to an object then the handset says what it is.

So the request "What am I pointed at?" means manual movement and the scope knowing, or determining, the RA/Dec so it must therefore know where it is pointed after a manual movement. Meaning therefore that subsequent goto is OK.

I withdraw the opinion that a manual movement destroys the subsequent goto.

Shame as I have told quite a few that this is the case - but I will leave them in ignorance, it is probably safer they do not go wandering all over the sky.

It would only happen if the mount was declutched and then manually moved on to the new target, unless the mount has dual encoders (new Skywatcher goto AZ_EQ mounts) which allow you to do this. Using the handcontrol to slew the mount, after a goto slew, the mount still knows where it is pointing.

Coincidentally the 'how does a goto work' came up with a friend when I had a short lunar viewing session last night. Part of my explanation was as follows:

The handset is the brains of the operation. Once it is setup the handset in conjunction with the mount now knows what the scope is pointing at. The goto function is just a way of moving the scope  as an alternative to manually (ie via the handset) moving it. A kind of; I do not care how you move it - I know where you are.

Archived