Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY WEDGE

Martin 2

As I have not been able to be out with the scope lately I thought I would have a go at making a wedge for the NS8.

It had to be simple (I'm thick) cheap (I'm skint) and adjustable in latitude and azimuth as I didn't want to be having to move the tripod about to get alignment.

Heres a pic of the finished article

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\wedge\DSCN0001.JPG

Tripod mounting plate.

This allows the wedge to move in azimuth around the threaded stud.

Note the strips of cut up timing belt attached to the end of the plate, this is one half of a friction bearing for azimuth adjustment.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\wedge\DSCN0004.JPG

The wedge.

Scope mounting plate is adjusted in latitude by the long threaded stud. This is fixed into a piece of 2 inch dowel at the top.This pivots in the holding brackets and allows for the change in angle of the threaded stud as the latitude is adjusted by the knob at the rear of the wedge. The wedge is locked on to the mounting plate by the knob at the front.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\wedge\DSCN0008.JPG

2nd part of the friction bearing for azimuth adjustment.

Its a couple of bungee mounts fixes to the stud, when the wedge is mounted it pushes up against the strips of timing belt and when turned moves the wedge in azimuth.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\wedge\DSCN0006.JPG

Have had the scope attached and it feels very stable, must try and get some time to try it out.

Cost £24, wood from recycling depot and stud and washers-round and square from a local builders supplier

M2

Archived