NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW EQ mount auto polar alignment function help please

I have installed the latest firmware for the SW EQ6 handset in order to familiarise myself with the Auto polar alignment function before my new EQ8 arrives. 

I am messing about with it i the living room and have done a pretend two star alignment  and then I get two numbers called  Mel and Maz which I gather is how far out your mount is in elevation and azimuth. What are you supposed to do next???????

I have seen Dion's Astronomy shed video tutorial o Alignmaster. This program then displaces the second star in each plane separately and you have to move the Lat and Azt bolts to centre the star in the field of view.

I am sure the procedure is quote simple but I can not work it out or find the answer in the instruction manual which then just goes on to step 4 .'If the user has chosen a 3-star alignment.........'

Once you have done your 2 star alignment (and only then) a new option appears on the handset menu to polar adjust. The handset should then ask you which star you want to use to polar adjust, select that and it will move to it. It then does a few iterations of moving the scope off that star and asks you to align it again. At first with the cursor controls and when it has calculated your offset error it then asks you to adjust using the Alt & Az bolts. Do this several times and the accuracy of the polar alignment should get better.

This is from memory, I hope I have the steps right - if not someone will correct me I'm sure.

Once you have done your 2 star alignment (and only then) a new option appears on the handset menu to polar adjust. The handset should then ask you which star you want to use to polar adjust, select that and it will move to it. It then does a few iterations of moving the scope off that star and asks you to align it again. At first with the cursor controls and when it has calculated your offset error it then asks you to adjust using the Alt & Az bolts. Do this several times and the accuracy of the polar alignment should get better.

This is from memory, I hope I have the steps right - if not someone will correct me I'm sure.

Thanks mate. I have now found it (there is no mention of it in the manual!!!). It looks very straight forward, and as you say a few iterations of the whole process will improve the accuracy.

Archived