Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sensor cleaning kit for Canon 600D ??

oldpink

there seems to be quite a few "Sensor cleaning kits" available

I have a few dust bunnies that my blower can't shift and as my camera is modded the sensor clean option doesn't work
any advice on the best kit to get, I see some have swabs at various sizes to be used on different sized sensors

I have two instruments in my arsenal for sensor cleaning.

The first line of attack is the 'Arctic Butterfly' (http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3) - you can find UK suppliers online. It's quite expensive, but is brilliant at removing mobile dust particles. I also use it on lenses (the internal surfaces) and filters.

If the mark is stubborn and will not budge with a tickle from the Butterfly, I resort to swabs and fluid. The ones I use are Dust Aid (http://www.dust-aid.com).

My sensors are always virtually spotless!

As for your sensor clean not working, are you sure that it hasn't just been disabled? That way it doesn't clean mid project and move the dust around, thereby knackering any flats you took before a power cycle that you may use after a power cycle! There should be an option to 'clean now' that just runs the cleaning vibrator once. Do that a few times and see if the grunge shifts!

Hope that helps.

My 600D came from cheapastro while i haven't tried to use the self clean option this is part of a e-mail Juan sent when i brought the camera, the way i read it the self clean does work....???

" The LP1 anti-aliasing filter (AAF) in your camera has been retained. Please remember to keep the setting 'autoclean' to 'disable' when using it for astrophotography in order to avoid the camera messing with your flat frames 

( the optical train changes slightly when the AA filter shakes in order to clean the camera, thus voiding your flat frames for the night). "

this is the E mail I got about the cleaner

The error message the camera is giving you is perfectly normal. As your camera has a Baader filter modification, I have removed the anti-aliasing filter to increase picture sharpness. The automatic cleaning function is a piezoelectric material attached to that filter which vibrates to shake the filter in an attempt to clean it.

Since that filter is no longer installed in the camera, your camera tries to communicate with it sending an error message and going into a loop. Make sure that the autocleaning function is set to disable in the camera's menu to avoid this happening.

Archived