NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Astro Image learning opportunities and questions

sailor_74

Hi

completed my first nights imaging lasts night and had a go at the North America Nebula and Andromeda. The out come of which is here:

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/sailor_74/andromedafinal_zpsd3b2879a.jpg  (still working on North America Nebula as its a bit noisy).

Im quite pleased with the results especially considering that up until last week i didn't even own a telescope. Its been a fun learning curve over the last few days but I'm still left with a number of questions and issues.

What i did learn was that i can image unguided for 2 mins 30 sec, possibly pushing it to 3 mins max. I shot at ISO 1600 to try and compensate for the short exposure (not sure if this was a good idea or not). DSS and Photoshop weren't that difficult to work with first time.

I think that i WILL have to invest in some guiding equipment in the not too distant future.

I am using a SW 80ED DS Pro with a Cannon 400D. I did encounter an issue with not being able to achieve focus when trying to use a X2 Barlow, it would appear that I would need an extension tube or focal reducer? ....i really don't know much about photography!

I would also like to be able to connect the camera to the laptop so that I can check focus more easily.....is this possible?

Any comments would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

At the risk of causing a riot!...Think hard if you need to guide..it complicates the setup a fair bit. The main considerations are whether you are read noise limited and the PE of your syste. 3min sub in almost all cases you will not be read noise limited. So just take lots of subs. The ISO should be at the optimum for SNR (usually 800 or 1600 ) but tends not to be too critical. another common misconception is that the SNR of a single sub needs to be >1. It doesnt! Guiding can be very helpful but with it ofetn comes expense and complication.

I would also like to be able to connect the camera to the laptop so that I can check focus more easily.....is this possible?

Yes it is possible.

There is a number of programs you can use, APT, BackyardEOS and EOS Utility to name a few.

really good for first attempt well done

you don't say how many exposures? is it a stacked image?

i wouldn't recomend a barlow for dso's though,but nice shot stars are going off a bit at outer edges

but i would be happy taking that as a first shot

only 2 exposures and 3 darks as by battery died! Another lesson learned.  :grin:

Despite what the software says it turns out I can connect a 400D to Nebulosity and get an image on my Mac as soon as the pic is taken. Not exactly live screen but will allow me to check focus rather than trying to peer through a viewfinder whilst lying on the grass.

At the risk of causing a riot!...Think hard if you need to guide..it complicates the setup a fair bit. The main considerations are whether you are read noise limited and the PE of your syste. 3min sub in almost all cases you will not be read noise limited. So just take lots of subs. The ISO should be at the optimum for SNR (usually 800 or 1600 ) but tends not to be too critical. another common misconception is that the SNR of a single sub needs to be >1. It doesnt! Guiding can be very helpful but with it ofetn comes expense and complication.

I'll riot :-)

For pounds spent/improvements gained guiding is the most cost effective addition in astrophotography.

Archived