NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cygnus in poor man's Ha - 2nd attempt

michaelmorris

A couple of weeks ago I experimented with using a very broadband Ha-type set up on my astro-modifed Canon 1100D with a Canon nifty-fifty at f 5.6 ( http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/221998-poor-mans-ha-image-of-cygnus/ ).  I was pleased with the initial results, but there was definite room for improvement.  Here is my second attempt with the lens wider, more subs and better framing.

post-586-0-68528200-1408308617_thumb.jpg

The increased number of subs and better framing have improved things a lot, but the wider aperture was definitiely a mistake.  I've applied a very slight lens distortion in Photoshop to try to minimise the elongated stars at the edge of the field of view.  Even then it's had to be cropped slightly.  I'm going to experiment with f4 and f5.6 subs of the same view and compare the star elongation on the peripheries.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived