Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter's back! A bit wobbly it's true...

AlexG

Of course he's never been away, we have, but having consulted Stellarium last week I saw that Jupiter should be risen by about 0600 above the neighbour's house in the south-east and there should be about ten minutes before the sun started interfering with everything.

Having got up early for work I looked out today, not expecting anything, at a few minutes to six and there he was, clearly visible from the top floor of the house. The question was would he be visible from ground level?

Five past six there I was with the telescope (only partly cooled as stored in the garage) wrestling the tripod on the front doorstep which was the only place with the right elevation and location to get the planet above the neighbour's rooftop. In with the 15mm EP and there he was, boiling a bit, but four moons visible, Europa to the right, Io, Ganymede and Callisto to the left and two wobbly bands on the planet. Yes, I think Jupiter is my favourite too.

Back to grab the 8mm EP and back, pop in the EP and - too late - by 0610 the lightening of the sky was too much and the view was murky at best.

Those with a Mak 127 bought last December in FLO's special deal, it's your first chance to see Jupiter and the telescope looks like it will give some cracking views. Of course it will be months for the best sight of Jupiter.

Now to find a patch of the garden that will let me see it at 0555!

AG

Archived